TotheTooth

food and me..

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Kannaa and colors

She was sitting at the table, looking very busy and important. I was
doing
the dishes.
kannaa...she called out.
I stopped what I was doing and looked at her direction. She was busy
doing something. I carried on.
Kannaa, she said again.
Kannaa come....
I looked up and wondered if she was calling me. But no, she was looking
elsewhere.
Kannaa come...this time it was louder. I walked up to her and asked if
she wanted anything.
She was crying now...Kannaa...Kannaa...
She pointed to the box of crayons lying on the other side of the
table.

She cannot say her 'L''s yet and has problems with her 'R's.
So 'colors' became 'Kannaa'

and Flowers have become something with F & K. I'm ignoring it when she
says flowers and hoping everyone else who hears it does too !

Here is my Kannamma's favorite snack: Sundal



1 Can chick peas (or pinto, Red Kidney Beans or cooked Soy beans, cooked Lima beans)
4 Curry Leaves
Pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
1/2 Tspn Mustard seeds
1 Dried Red Chilli
1 Tspn Sambar Powder (optional)
2 Tbl spoon onion chopped finely (optional)
1 Tbl spoon oil
Salt to taste (very little salt is required when using canned beans)

Rinse canned beans thoroughly in water and drain.
Heat oil in a pan.
Add mustard seeds. Wait till they stop spluttering. Now add hing and curry leaves.
Add Onion and fry till they turn pink. Add Sambar powder and fry for another minute.
Now add the chickpeas and salt. Coat to mix well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Traditionally this is garnished with grated coconut. We've a cholesterol watch at home, so I skip the coconut.
1 can, serves 3 adults.

This is plain, simple Sundal. Tastes yummy, goes well with afternoon tea. A wonderful snack for my toddler, high in fiber & protein.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home