TotheTooth

food and me..

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Red, yellow and green...Peppers

Thanks to Sweetnicks, I wake up on tuesday mornings thinking of antioxidants! Even on a vacation recently I caught myself thinking of antioxidants when eating out on a tuesday! I ordered a side of Zucchini Parmesan, cooked Lasagna style with vine-ripened tomatoes. They were absolutely delish, I'm on the lookout for a similar recipe. That is one dish I'd love to recreate. Here is my contribution for this tuesday's ARF-5, one of my favorite dishes made with my most favorite vegetable.

Peppers..red, green and yellow

Grilled peppers are my absolute favorite, pulse them with a dash of lime and salt, you've a wonderful dip ready. Add peanuts for extra crunch ! They taste great with sandwiches and are the best antipasti ever. A glass of good wine, grilled peppers, olives and some cheese and a hearty bread, baby in bed, husband by my side - my idea of a perfect friday evening !
This recipe below has an Indian twist, usually made with Paneer (an Indian cheese, very similar in taste and texture to Ricotta Salata) marinated in a yogurt sauce. Typically this recipe calls for lots of spices. I usually omit all spices and just use cayenne pepper and lime juice for seasoning.
I use Tofu instead of Paneer, still tastes great and makes for a very healthy meal when served with whole-wheat bread. I also serve them wrap style, with a yogurt dip in soy Pita (thanks to Trader Joe's)! I probably should write a blog about 'These are a few of my favorite things in TJ's', but that's for another day.

Chopped mixed grilled peppers - 2 cups
(I chopped 1 large red & green pepper, sprayed a little cooking oil and broiled them in the oven for about 15 minutes. Frying them in a wok in high heat also brings out their wonderful flavors.A store bought jar of grilled peppers will work too).
Tomatoes - 2 medium sized, chopped into 1 inch chunks
Medium Red Onion - 1, chopped into 1 inch pieces
Tofu - 1 cup (chopped into 1 inch cubes)
Yogurt - 1/2 cup (for marinade)
Cayenne Pepper - 2 tspn
Salt - per taste
Turmeric - 1/4tspn
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Lime juice - 1 tspn

Whisk yogurt, turmeric, salt and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper together.
Marinate the tofu cubes in this mixture for atleast 30 minutes.
Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil and arrange the tofu pieces.
Spray
cooking oil and broil for 5-8 minutes.

Heat oil and add onion. Saute them till they turn slightly brown, about
5 minutes. Add 1 tspn of cayenne pepper. Add the peppers and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Reduce heat to simmer and add the tomatoes and salt. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
Add the tofu pieces and stir gently. Turn off heat. Squeeze lime juice.
Serve warm with bread. An everyday white wine will be a good accompaniment.
Wonder if there are any antioxidants in red wine ? That will make for a very easy ARF-5 contribution !

2 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Blogger Ashwini said...

I am sure grapes have very HIGH antioxidant properties :-)
Peppers sound good.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Looks very colourful & delicious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home