TotheTooth

food and me..

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Bonda, Mysore

Though I started the Tamil food series with great enthusiasm, along the way I slowed down a bit; I’m not able to spend as much time doing this as I thought I could. With a toddler, a full-time job and home & garden requiring constant attention, I never run out of excuses. But I finally got some time to myself this weekend and tried making Mysore Bondas. I’ve no idea why they’re called Mysore Bonda, similarly there is Mysore Rasam which I love and make often. Perhaps these foods were traditionally made by Mysore Iyengars, that's the only explanation I could come up with.

Bondas and Bajjis are an all time favorite snack back where I come from. And of course I’m sure every family has some ‘Sojji-Bajji / Ponnu pakkara’ memories!! In an arranged marriage scenario, the prospective groom’s family would visit the prospective bride’s family. Usually the visits would be scheduled during tea-time,
coffee time actually in Tamilnadu; Sojji(Rava Kesari)and Bajji’s would be served along with Coffee. The girls culinary skills will be measured based on the mom’s cooking skills. Remarks like, ‘Even though the girl wasn’t very attractive, the coffee and Bajji were delicious’, always make rounds ! I personally don’t have any Sojji-Bajji memories, but have heard very interesting and funny stories from my mom and aunts and uncles!

Mysore Bonda

Whole urad Daal – 1 cup, rinsed & soaked in water for 2-3 hours
Water – ¼ cup, for grinding
Green Chili – 5
Whole Black pepper-6
Ginger – 1 inch piece, peeled and chopped finely
Salt – as per taste
Oil – for deep frying
Curry leaves – 6, finely chopped
1/8inch of fresh coconut pieces - 2 table spoon

Drain the water from the daal and grind it with 3 whole green chilies, salt and the half the ginger. Grind till the batter is very soft and fluffy. Add the water sparingly and only to rev up the grinding process. Set the batter aside.
Heat oil in a frying pan.
Finely chop the remaining chilies, add to the batter, along with whole (or partially crushed) black peppers, remaining ginger and curry leaves.
Keep some water in a bowl by the side, wet your fingers in the water and now take a dollop of the batter and drop it in the oil. Repeat till there is no more room in the pan. At least 4/5 bondas can be cooked at a time. The wet fingers help make even balls out of the batter and help the balls glide smoothly into the oil. Once the sizzling sound of the oil stops, reduce heat and slow cook the bondas till
they’re a beautiful golden color through-out. Take them out and drain the excess oil.
Serve immediately with coconut chutney and or Sambar.
Chutney recipe later.

4 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Blogger Ashwini said...

Good to know you got some time to blog :-)
I love bondas though I dont make them often at home. Yours look delish

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

looks very tasty. It is such a long time since I made these at home. Great blog, keep blogging

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Ashwini said...

Hey there have tagged you for a meme. Check it out

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger Sowjanya said...

I love tasting all kinds of bondas. Its been some time that I made these. Its time I start them again. Thanks for the recipe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home